Once you have decided to get a Betta fish make sure you have the right home ready for him. Betta fish are not high maintenance but caring for your Betta fish still requires some time and effort.
Here are some tips I found useful
- His tank must be big enough for him to swim around without damage to his long fins and the surface area must be big enough to provide sufficient oxygen. They also like plants in their tank .
- Betta fish are meat eaters and they like to eat live food such as blood worms or brine shrimp occasionally. They will eat frozen blood worms and frozen brine shrimp. You can buy Betta food pellets at the shop, the fish seem to like them as well.
- When you are feeding your fish , do not give them too much food. An overweight fish is not healthy. Also any extra food that is not eaten will sit on the bottom of the tank and contaminate the water.
- If you have any decorations or stones in the water, they will need to be cleaned. The best way to clean them is with an abrasive brush. If you use soap there is often a residue left on the item and that that can harm or sometimes kill the fish.
- A Betta fish is capable of jumping, so it is very important that the water level is at least 2 inches below the top of the tank. As an alternative you could cover the tank.
- Anything you put in the tank must be smooth, larva rock is a no no, as the fins can catch on it and tear.
- PH balance is important, it must be 7.0. To keep a check on it, you can buy PH testing kits at any pet store, plus the additives to increase or decrease the PH level.
- The water needs to be clean so it is a good idea to refresh the water every 2-3 days. When you are replacing the water, use water that has been sitting for 24hours. This will improve the quality of the water and let any chlorine escape. Because water supplies vary so much a water conditioner can be used.
- Betta fish are able to recognize people (usually the one who feeds them). They will often react when you pay them attention. This makes caring for a Betta fish more fun.
Caring for Betta fish is like looking after any other pet. Make sure he has good food, a clean tank and if you think he is not well take him to the vet.